- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive or canola oil
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2-3 tsp garam masala
- 1 butternut squash (about 3 lbs–average sized), peeled and chopped
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes in tomato juice
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 15-oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- fresh minced cilantro for serving
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion, carrot and jalapeno and saute for about six minutes. Add the minced garlic and saute for 30 more seconds, and then add the garam masala, stirring well to coat. Take off heat.
- Place the chickpeas, butternut squash, canned diced tomatoes, red lentils, vegetable broth and onion mixture in your slow cooker. Turn the heat on LOW and cook for 8-10 hours…the longer you cook, the thicker your stew will be.
- Season with sea salt to taste and serve with minced cilantro on top. This stew freezes extremely well and will keep in the fridge for up to five days.